Monday, May 9, 2011

Is 3D Technology Cinemas' Last Stand?

Why do we go to the cinema? In my case its simple, I go to the cinema either because I cannot wait for the movie to come out in DVD format or because I want to see this movie on a huge screen with ear-blasting sound. If I am being honest, the second point is my primary motivation for going to the movies, as there are ways to get around the exclusivity cinemas produce. The value given to me by cinemas, and many other people, come from the size of the screen. I love going to the cinema, especially to see action movies and thrillers, because I feel like I am inside the movie. This feeling is incremented via the 3D revolution we are undergoing. 3D movies are the future, and cinemas provide a great distribution network for these movies, as due to the size of the screen, the viewer experience is multiplied (compared to regular television). After having seen Avatar, if prompted with the choice of seeing a movie in 2D or 3D in the cinema, I will, without hesitation, choose the 3D option (even if it is a little bit more expensive). I also believe that this technology will be developed and the viewer experience will be increased more and more. Even if this medium is digitalized, I still believe that cinemas will hold a certain edge, experience.

But what will happen when 3D technology is replaced, by what now looks like virtual reality technology? The experience provided by the virtual reality movie will not be related to the size of a screen and maybe not even to the size of the room you are in. If this is the case, how will cinemas survive? It would seem that if one can have such an experience in the comfort of your own home, sharing it with whom you choose, and not have to pay exorbitant amounts of money for popcorn and drinks, it would be more attractive. Unless cinemas can leverage the sharing of such an experience with complete strangers, I do not see how it will survive the next big thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment